Monday 2 January 2012

What is the point?


I know, I know...its been ages since I last wrote. 
But guess what one of my New Years resolutions is? 
So here we go.

What is the point of life? The age-old question.

The question that burns the back of our throats, sours the tip of our tongues, and if ever we take the time to stop buzzing through life from one moment to the next, the one question that keeps us awake at night as we grasp for an answer. Seems to be the general human condition doesn’t it? Grasping for answers in a cloudy mist of questions that bear down upon us everytime we pull our heads out the sand.

Various answers have swayed mankind for years, and taken each generation into its own social and political headspace, led primarily by whatever mode of communication or thought pervades that particular space in time. Sadly the more I consider thongs around us and this society we find ourselves, seems as thought the culture of materialism and celebrity worship has taken hold of those ideals and bent them in a direction that would make earlier philosophers and literary heavy weights do somersaults in their graves. Almost as if those answers we are constantly searching for are as much remedies to the problems inherent in our existence as they are answers to our need to be first rich and then happy. Apologies I am straying of track slightly here…

Personally I think finding the answer to; “what is life?” is just as important as the process of asking oneself the question.
We need these moments of inflection and consideration to understand ourselves as much as to understand our environment. Sure the Nihilist amongst us would ask why even pursue such fruitless lines of thinking, but I say Nihilism be damned.

Creation.

That’s what I believe life is all about.



Of course there is a very firm religious association with any questions we may ask ourselves about the very nature of existence, and much of that answer would stem from what we believe and how we believe it. Or if the atheists among us were to throw their towel into the ring and have their say…other answers would creep in from propagation of the species, to a good dash of Nihilism (again).
But beyond all that contextualization, as well as a purposeful avoidance of any religious debate…I believe in life as creation.

I believe that inherent in every human being is the need to create. I believe it is one of the fundamentals of human nature…to create, to shape, to build. And however we see ourselves and however we want ourselves to be seen, we create on a day to day basis.

Let me clarify the term “create” that I’m throwing around so casually.
I am not referring to the act of writing a few novels, publishing a blog, painting a portrait or any of the modern social media equivalents…Specifically I am referring to creation in a much broader sense. To be more concrete in my representation; I use creation to describe all forms or creation available to us as human beings. When we think, when we talk, when we make a decision, when we move…these are all aspects of creation that become part of us (mannerisms, speech patterns, our very thoughts) as the very act of using these beginning phases of creation to create moments of experience in our lives (the very act of not making a decision or ‘going with the flow’ is a decision in itself to not act…and so becomes a act of creation). And so we see the need to create and (excuse the verbose language) to create as creatively as possible.



Which brings me to another part of my theory: life as creation, and the significance of the individual.

As with most things in life I believe that individuals need find their own reasons and answers to their cosmic existence, and why that cosmic existence, is. And although many may not share my concept of creation, if we consider the most beautiful moments of our existence and ask ourselves what those were, many would point to specific events and memories. And if we consider those moments profoundly we understand the creativity intrinsic to each one. After all you couldn’t be reading this without a whole series of profound and amazing creative events taking place.

So to the individual:
With each canvas an artist creates, his style develops. It is indeed that individual style of the artist, writer, sculptor that endures their work to us? And if we consider life as creation and consider the need for us to then create in our own lives, thus we understand that by the very act of creating however consciously or unconsciously we begin to breathe ourselves into each and every moment of our lives. We find our own voice, or our paintbrush our own narrative. And thus is born the most beautiful moments of creation and the fundamental need of each human being. Individual creation.



Yes I understand the concept of balance, Ying and Yang, birth and death, light and dark and many eastern philosophies that highlight the impossibility for creation to exist without destruction, order without chaos. But if I wasn’t so aware of how long winded and boring this little piece is becoming we could talk ad nauseam about how so much of destruction is creation.

I hope this finds you all well.
Create something beautfiul today, whether its a moment, a thought, or even just a word, CREATE.
All my best
Skeato


P.S. Yes I realize that using a quote from Gossip Girl is is a bit pansy-arsed...but it helps to make my point. 
P.P.S. Yes I love ponies. 



No comments:

Post a Comment