Tuesday 11 October 2011

Rugby players...the modern day gladiators.

I guess it's all the same isn't it? We run onto the battlefield, primed for warfare with only our bare hands and our bodies as our weapons. Having spent hours and years sharpening our skills in combat we chase glory in the hallowed arena, risking reputation and our bodies for that prize. Blood, and guts every weekend to entertain the maddening crowd...broken bones, torn joints and fractured just-about-anything to succeed.  



For me especially one of my favourite things and one of the very reasons I chose to to pursue a career in rugby was because it was hard, and gladiatorial. I love the idea of flexing our bodies and testing our souls every weekend between those four lines.
Every weekend, every day is a test and there's no room to hide, no escaping the TV cameras and spectators, and that's what I've always loved about the sport.
Just like a Gladiator...in the arena.


See you in the arena soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment